(Note: I started writing this on 9/19. Just so you know. Also, I’ve tried errything I know to get the second half of the piece to break into proper paragraphs. It is difficult to read. BUT YOU WILL READ IT AND BY GOD YOU WILL NOT COMPLAIN.)
Blogging has some distinct advantages: I get to choose what I write about. I can write in my sweat pants–and by that, I mean I actually write my rough drafts on the INSIDE of my pants as a political statement about the transitory nature of the pixel vis-a-vis text-based applications and the political landmine that is cotton-based paper products in a post-green consumer society. The complete and total lack of editorial oversight here at Standard Shed Studios makes sentences like that possible. YOU’RE WELCOME.
So, here’s the thing. I was just talking to a friend about this blog she read where the writer was publicizing IP addresses for various reasons. Do not like. In this digital age, that information is really no different from publicizing a physical address. If you’ve got trolls and need to block a fella, do it. No need to talk about it. That person behind that IP address may be perfectly lovely until he or she gets behind the wall of anonymity the internet ostensibly creates. Like getting in a car. Get me in traffic and I will let loose with a stream of expletives which will melt the rubber off your radials. I’m not an aggressive driver–far from it. It’s because of the cussing. If I didn’t talk to my fellow road-sharers, every time I got in my car it’d be like Death Race 2000 and I’d be Machine Gun Joe. (That one’s for you, THK!) In other words, stay away from Perkins, ma, ’cause Senior Day is triple points.
Point is, my mind works like this:
- Sit down at desk.
- Realize I forgot Cheetos. AGAIN.
- Wonder if they have Zapp’s Cajun Dill Chips at the grocery.
- Talk myself out of going to see.
- Start writing stuff. Just stuff. Just getting the fingers working.
- Twitter feed produces Twitter Feud O’ The Day.
- Look at NPR feed.
- Wonder where the saying “memory like an elephant” came from.
- Learn that elephants mourn and hold elephant funerals.
- Remember watching that Nature on crows that was cool as hell. Crows hold funerals also.
- Wonder what would happen if an elephant showed up at a crow wake.
- Wonder, yet again, why I don’t have a book contract/sitcom.
- Think about writing a sticom where the sassy neighbor wears a caftan.
- Realize I’m about to be late for something.
- Take a sip of what I BELIEVED to be Coke Zero, but is actually CHERRY Coke Zero.
- Brush my teeth.
- Run my errands.
- Finish disgusting cherry Coke because it’s open.
- Get back home, clean kitchen, iron, remember I have half-written blog post.
- What we should have been taught senior year of high school.
- Mind Over Memphis (Sorry, Dr. Toboggans! I know you hate happy!)