I’m out of town for the weekend. Did you just hear that? That was the sound of my husband doing the happy dance.
I’m going to Laurel, Mississippi. It’s where I’m from. Here are some fun facts about Laurel:
- Laurel is the home of Leontyne Price, Blanche Dubois, Ralph Boston, Tom Lester (Eb from “Green Acres”),Parker Posey, My Favorite Martian Ray Walston, Marsha Blackburn, Lance Bass, Clinton Portis, and Frank G. Wisner.
- Lauren Rogers Museum of Art, Mississippi’s oldest museum, is in Laurel. I will kiss your ass in Macy’s window if you can find another museum of this quality in such a small town. AND IT’S FREE. But don’t let that stop you from stuffing a dollar or two in the box. It’s an outstanding museum run by outstanding people and they need all the help they can get.
- Memphians will recognize Laurel from a trip to Kroger. It’s the home of Sanderson Farms chicken. Chicken that ain’t shot up with anything but yummy.
- Laurel in in Jones County which seceded from the Confederacy. Or maybe it didn’t. Some dispute that claim.
- Laurel is called “The City Beautiful”. And it is, indeed, beautiful. Here are some pictures to prove that.
Also, here is a picture of a plastic cow in my parents’ backyard.
Anyway, I’ll be gone a few days.